Friday 8 July 2011

Goodbye Harry...


Now as many of you know, the World Premiere for 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2' took place yesterday consuming the whole of Trafalgar Square and the majority of London. I was SUPPOSED to be attending the event as press and was completely gutted that I couldn't attend (not naming names but a certain newspaper wouldn't release my press pass - thanks very much), but I'm not going to be bitter. Well I'll try not to anyway. Right moving on...

 Although I knew it was coming, much like the world did, I just don't think I'm ready to say goodbye to Harry yet. It doesn't seem like five minutes ago when I was eagerly flicking through 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' at the tender age of 7 (yes the first book was released in 1997 can you believe!?) and since then 'The Boy Who Lived' has had a deeply special place in my heart. I've spend 14 years with the Hogwarts co and those years have completely flown by, and now I'm 21 and staring into inevitable emptiness without these beloved stories and films, I'm left feeling a little hollow.

J.K Rowling's world is something that has brought joy, hope and uncontrollable entertainment to so many and I believe the film adaptations have done her extraordinary works justice. Admittedly, the Chris Columbus movies are the weakest but they are still pretty darn good. Since David Yates picked up the series at the fifth feature, 'The Order of the Phoenix' in 2007, he has had the painstakingly difficult task of giving the fans what they desire; a screen adaptation that's as close to the original source material as possible containing all the emotions that lead up to the dramatic finale and I believe he has certainly achieved this so far; particuarly with 'The Half-Blood Prince' (2009) and 'The Deathly Hallows: Part 1' (2010 - which was included in my top ten films of last year).

                         

 What the 'Harry Potter' films have done for the UK film industry is unrepayable - yes, they are released through Warner Bros. which until next year, are fundamentally based in the United States, but in general, these films have saved our country's film export. They are amongst the highest-grossing films of the year, if not the highest, plus they have steadily boosted tourism and created numerous opportunities for people within the film industry and those who aspire towards it. When the world departs with 'Harry Potter', a lot of ground needs to be covered if we want to stay on top.

 But I don't want to talk finance because that completely undermines the essence of the franchise - the books and films convey beautiful messages of friendship, love, loss and sacrifice; emotions that we encounter on a daily basis, but are escalated by the incredible wizarding world and all the laughs and drama that comes with it. There are so many moments in the films that stand out to me; moments which made me smile, laugh and left me crippled with sadness and emotion - my all-time favourite 'Potter' moment is from 'The Prisoner of Azkaban' (dir: Alfonso Cuaron, 2004 - which is also my favourite film in the franchise) in which Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) punches Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) in the face after he lands Hagrid's (Robbie Coltrane) Hippogriff, Buckbeak in trouble. Every time I see it, I burst into a fit of laughter, especially when she then utters "That felt good!"; it's a brilliant moment for Hermione and proves she's much more than a bookworm.

 To say a franchise spanning 8 films can still grip and provoke it's viewer and to have not lost it's bearings along the way is a marvellous achievement. Usually by the third film, viewers have had enough but I truly believe many will wish there was a lot more Harry to come. Still, the reviews for the latest feature have been incredibly promising so it will be good to see our hero's saga go out with a bang rather than a dreary fizzle. 

 But as 15th July gets ever closer, I am feeling just slightly more sad than excited, although I am utterly desperate to see 'Part 2' so I suppose my emotions counteract one another. However, once the final film has passed and the curtain closes on our beloved trio, at least we will have the fondest, warmest and more wonderful memories to keep us going. That and all the books and films anyway...

 So this post is a goodbye to the characters, the world and the magic that has helped shape my childhood and teenage years along with millions of others worldwide. I'm really going to miss you Harry...


Let me know your favourite 'Potter' moments by posting a comment below, or on Facebook or Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment