Monday 11 July 2011

A Necessary Rant...


If you visit the site frequently; which I hope most of you do by now, you'll be aware that being rude and obnoxious is certainly not my style. People who spend their lives swearing and shouting across the internet seem more like morons than 'revolutionaries' to me (One critic in particular, that comment was directed at YOU). Anyway, today I'm going to make an exception to my own rule and get a little hot-headed about a subject that bothers me day-in, day-out; becoming a professional film critic.

 Now I'm sure the majority of you are aware but my dream is to become a recognised and respected professional film critic; a person who gets to travel the world to festivals and watch numerous pictures before describing them in detail to either a publication or on-air. That's what I want - it's all I've ever wanted, and yet some days, I feel my dream will never become a reality and that sadly is because of how many idiots there are out there that are so called 'critics'.



Take this man for example:


ABSOLUTE TWAT

 Alex Zane makes me question the industry oh so often - how can he be the residential film critic for The Sun as well as a host for numerous other things and get on the red carpet for every premiere in the UK? It's because of his image and the fact that he was in the public eye as a DJ before he suddenly gained 'mass knowledge' of cinema and had to become a critic. It makes me sick to think there are people out there like me who are deseperate to get their break, have worked so hard to achieve what they already have and then are forced to watch this wanker prance around the World Premiere of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2' looking like a Topshop mannequin. It makes me see red.

 There are plenty of other 'critics' who I cannot stand but I don't want to come off as jealous - it just seems daft that you have to be either dumb, rude or based in London to get a break. I've worked my socks off for the last 4 years; I've been through university and got a degree in Film, have written for local magazines and media and have been in contact with various magazines and websites but I'm yet to get the break that I know I deserve.

 I'm unfortunate to live in Kent where little to nothing regarding film happens plus I'm unlucky to not know anybody involved with anything that could help me but I'm getting fed up of asking people to help me out or give me a chance. I know it's rare for people to have a job they love, but when you've worked like a bitch to achieve it, it's kind of a kick in the teeth when nothing comes your way.

 This post is not a plea for you all to give me sympathetic comments, or to pat me on the back and tell me you like my work, I just want it to be a bit of a wake-up call to some. I'll never give up because this is what I want and I truly hope to achieve my dream job; I just hope I'm not waiting too much longer for the opportunity to prove myself.

There we go, rant over and now I'm calm...


No comments:

Post a Comment