Thursday 30 August 2012

5 Hopes for LFF.


Not long now until one of my favourite festivals arrives and with the opening and closing films being announced (Tim Burton's Frankenweenie 3D and Mike Newell's Great Expectations), I thought I'd jot down 5 films that I really hope make the festival schedule come next Wednesday. How likely these picks are is debatable mind you...

5.


Amour
(dir: Michael Haneke)

Probably the most likely film on this list to appear at LFF, Haneke's Amour went down a storm at Cannes, where I was lucky enough to see it, and the film took home the prestigious Palme d'Or. This is an extraordinary work of filmic art which I'd love to see again.


4.


Cloud Atlas
(dir: The Wachowski Brothers)

It's playing at TIFF next month and it looks pretty incredible considering I have not a single fucking clue what it's all about. The ensemble cast includes Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant, Hugo Weaving, Susan Sarandon and many more which is enough to sell the film to me anyway, plus it looks visually breathtaking.


3.


The Perks of Being a Wallflower
(dir: Steven Chbosky)

Again it's premièring at TIFF and has all the qualities for a spot at LFF. TPOBAW looks like a charming and insightful coming-of-age drama for which I am greatly excited for. Many of you may or may not know that I have huge problems with Ezra Miller and I really want him to impress me so hopefully he can do such a thing alongside Emma Watson and the dweeby kid from The Three Musketeers....


2.


The Master
(dir: Paul Thomas Anderson)

Premièring at Venice in a number of days before heading over to TIFF, hit-making auteur PTA's latest is making it's festival rounds and one can only hope it washes up along the Thames. Starring Joaquin "the whole bearded rap thing was just a massive LOL" Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams, this has Oscar written all over it and rightly so. The Master looks sensational.


1.


Les Miserables
(dir: Tom Hooper)

Please, please, PLEASE. Tom Hooper of The King's Speech fame is a frequent face at LFF with his films regularly playing the festival and I cannot hope higher that his adaptation of Les Miserables makes the bill. With a sensational cast, staggering set design and sumptuous costume, this looks like the cinematic adaptation the masterful stage show deserves. I cannot bloody wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment